What do you do when you need to create an angle dimension at 180 degrees? Maybe you need a 180 degree angle driving dimension between two sketch lines for sketch mechanisms. Maybe you just want to show the relationship between two parts of an assembly at a particularly point in their motion relative to each other, expressed as configurations. Or, maybe you just want to create a 180 degree angle, just because. Previously, you were blocked from creating such a dimension directly. In order to create a 180 degree dimension, you had to move some geometry (sketch line, components, features) slightly off 180 degrees, create your dimension, then edit whatever was necessary in order to restore the 180 degree angle.
SOLIDWORKS 2015 Smart Dimension tool now supports the creation 180 degree dimensions directly. No longer is it necessary to use the workaround. For sketches, the two lines that form the rays of the 180 degree angle must either share a vertex, or be separated where a vertex is inferred from their intersection. Just start the Smart Dimesnion tool and select two colinear non-overlapping entities, and a 180 degree angle will be generated for you.
Previous releases of SOLIDWORKS introduced linear dimensions in sketches that can be applied symmetrically when created across a centerline. Further enhancements saw smarter behavior, where the selected centerline is remembered for multiple dimensions created in sequence. For SOLIDWORKS 2015, you can create multiple half and full symmetric angular dimensions without selecting the centerline each time.
To create a symmetrical angle dimension:
- In a sketch with a centerline and lines or points, click Smart Dimension at Tools>Dimensions>Smart.
- Select the centerline and another line which is at an angle to that centerline.
- To create a half angle dimension, move the mouse cursor to the desired location and click to place, as previously. However, to create a full angle dimension (across the centerline), hold down the SHIFT key.
- Drag the mouse cursor (along with the previewed dimension) to the opposite side of the centerline. As you do so, a preview of the angle dimension will appear symmetrically about the centerline.
- Click to place dimension as desired.
- Keep holding down the SHIFT key and select other lines at angles to the centerline. Angle dimensions to the centerline will automatically generate and will allow you make more symmetric angle dimensions successively.