With all the drawing improvements in SolidWorks each year, there’s often some small ones that don’t make it into the What’s New file. Last year, I covered several small enhancments in SolidWorks 2012 that weren’t in the What’s New. Well, it’s now time to start covering SolidWorks 2013. I’ll cover some of the bigger enhancements for SolidWorks, but I’m also going to cover some of these hidden gems too.
Section views are made of several elements, including a parent view, a cutting line, labels, and the section view itself. Both ASME and ISO standards have situations where the cutting line is not shown, such as with half sections or when the cut is obvious. Prior to SolidWorks 2013, hiding the cutting line required workarounds. In SolidWorks 2013, there is a very simple command now available.
To hide a section view’s cutting line, RMB click on the either the cutting line or the section view. Select Hide Section Line. That’s it.
Of course, the question now is, how are the cutting lines unhidden once they are hiding? Easy, RMB click on the section view itself and click on Show Cutting Line command.
The cutting line returns to the parent view as though it never went away in the first place.
New in SolidWorks 2013
- SolidWorks 2013 What’s New: Section View Assist
- New in SolidWorks 2013: Hide Section View Cutting Lines (not found in What’s New)
- What’s New in SolidWorks 2013: Orientation dialog and View Selector
- Sometimes it’s the little things or Freedom to zoom around (New in SolidWorks 2013)
- What’s News in SolidWorks 2013: Revision Clouds
- Revision Clouds: What else is new ( Tip/Trick )
- Sometimes it’s the little new things (~part II) in SolidWorks 2013: Watermarking
- What’s New in SolidWorks 2013: Intersect (Wow!)
- What’s New in SolidWorks 2013: New capabilities of Exploded Views
- What’s New in SolidWorks 2013: Section View Assist – Part 1
- What’s New in SolidWorks 2013: Section View Assist Part 2 – Shortcutting cutting line creation
- New in SolidWorks 2013 – Enhanced Section View Interface – Adding offsets