In this article, I’m covering a topic of tags, which I briefly addressed in my recent breakout session at the SWUGN Summit – San Jose. What are tags? This website has tags that are assigned to most of its articles. Not just blogs, but many types of documents have tags which are used to increase searchability and enhance content filtering. SolidWorks added tags functionality in SolidWorks 2008. In SolidWorks, tags can be assigned to documents and features.
Instructions to assign tags to features:
- In the view pane or FeatureManager design tree, select any feature.
- In the status bar, at the lower right of the SolidWorks window, click the Tags icon.
- Tags box will pop up near the icon and will include any tags already in use for that feature.
- Type new tags into that field, separating each with a semi-colon. (Once a tag is typed, it is applied. There’s no “OK” button to accept.)
- (Click on the Tags icon again to close the Tags box.)
Then, to use the tags:
- In the filter field (at the top of the FeatureManager design tree), type-in the desired tag.
- This will automatically filter out all features which do not contain that tag nor match that text in their description.
- To redisplay all features, click cancel x in the filter field.