There was a heavy focus on expanding functionality of angle dimensions using the Smart Dimension tool in SOLIDWORKS 2015. These enhancements streamline drawing detailing and sketch creation tasks. Here’s the first of such enhancements.
There is a long standing request for the ability to apply angle dimensions where one ray is aligned to geometry (model edge or sketch line) and the other ray is along an imaginary vertical or horizontal direction. In SOLIDWORKS 2015, there is a new capability with Smart Dimension tool that enables you to create this type of angle dimension.
- Start the Smart Dimension tool.
- In a drawing view, select a model edge.
- Select a collinear and adjacent point (vertex or sketch point).
- A crosshair appears over the selected point. Select one of the crosshair’s segments.
- A preview of the angle dimension appears.
- Click to place the dimension.
SOLIDWORKS 2015 – Year of the Angle Dimension
- Year of the Angle Dimension – Part 1 – Imaginary Rays
- Year of the Angle Dimension – Part 2 – Flipping out (and over)
- Year of the Angle Dimension – Part 3 – Goodbye Zero
- Year of the Angle Dimension (Part 4): Symmetricality
- Year of the Angle Dimension – Part 5 – Take a 180