SolidWorks had an interesting and small limitation for a long time. If you were editing an annotation note in the graphics area of your drawing (by double-clicking on it), you couldn’t use the mouse wheel to zoom in and out around the document. Sure, you had access to increase and decrease zoom level using other means, but that would be focused on the center of the screen in both directions. As such, linking your note to other annotations on other areas of your drawing usually involved planning one step ahead.
Starting with SolidWorks 2013, the mouse wheel now zooms in and out while you are editing an annotation note in drawings. For example, if you are creating your general drawing notes and wish to add a link to a dimension in a drawing view at the other end of the drawing sheet, you can now simply zoom out with the mouse wheel, move the mouse cursor to the dimension and click it, then use the mouse and wheel to zoom back to focus the screen around the general notes while you are still typing.
Another use may be if your annotation note is not yet set to wordwrap and text is extending off the screen. You can now quickly zoom out to see all of the text and set the note’s bounding box so that it wordwraps, then zoom back in to continue your edits.
This is going to be one of those little things that you won’t even notice when you use it. You’ll prolly won’t think twice about it, acting as though this was the way it has always worked.
New in SolidWorks 2013
- SolidWorks 2013 What’s New: Section View Assist
- New in SolidWorks 2013: Hide Section View Cutting Lines (not found in What’s New)
- What’s New in SolidWorks 2013: Orientation dialog and View Selector
- Sometimes it’s the little things or Freedom to zoom around (New in SolidWorks 2013)
- What’s News in SolidWorks 2013: Revision Clouds
- Revision Clouds: What else is new ( Tip/Trick )
- Sometimes it’s the little new things (~part II) in SolidWorks 2013: Watermarking
- What’s New in SolidWorks 2013: Intersect (Wow!)
- What’s New in SolidWorks 2013: New capabilities of Exploded Views
- What’s New in SolidWorks 2013: Section View Assist – Part 1
- What’s New in SolidWorks 2013: Section View Assist Part 2 – Shortcutting cutting line creation
- New in SolidWorks 2013 – Enhanced Section View Interface – Adding offsets