Balloon annotations have been improved in SolidWorks 2014, with several formatting and behavioral enhancements.
Moving the arrow instead of the drawing view
Selection of the geometry within a drawing view tells SolidWorks you want to move the entire drawing view. Normally, this is a great feature. However, there is one case that wasn’t supported as a result. It was not easy to select an arrow which was attached to a vertex of model geometry (because the vertex itself would be selected). In SolidWorks 2014, when moving the arrow of a balloon to attach it to a different location, select the balloon first, then select the grip at the arrow’s tip. This will allow you to move the arrow without moving the entire drawing view.
Leader attachment with quantites added
When a quantity is added to a balloon, the leader is no longer forced to break around the quantity. You now have an option under More Properties button in the PropertyManager of the balloon.
Spacing between quantity and its balloon
You now have control of the distance between the quantity and the balloon with the new Distance field in the Quantity group box of the balloon’s PropertyManager.
You can now reattach any balloon, including dangling balloons within a stack, to associate them with any component from the same drawing view.
Enhancements to Balloons in SolidWorks 2014, together with the enhancements to ballooning in SolidWorks 2013, have improved and simplified many workflows to allow you to produce quality drawings faster and with less effort.
New in SOLIDWORKS 2014
- What’s New in SolidWorks 2014: Ballooning
- New stuff in SolidWorks 2014 (not mentioned in “What’s New”): Symbols
- What’s New in SolidWorks 2014: On-The-Fly Virtual Sharps While Dimensioning
- Rob Jost gives details of the new Style Spline tool in SolidWorks 2014
- New in SolidWorks 2014: Angular Running Dimensions
- What’s new in SolidWorks 2014: BOM saved sorting
- New in SolidWorks 2014: Quick review of Angular Running Dimensions
- New in SolidWorks 2014: Dimension display controls
- New in SolidWorks 2014: View label overhaul (Part 1)
- New in SolidWorks 2014: Slots in spades
- New in SolidWorks 2014: Brief overview of Replace Model tool for Drawing Views
- New in SolidWorks 2014: View labels and Auxiliary Views (Part 2)
- New in SolidWorks 2014 (not mentioned in the What’s New): View rotation angles everywhere (Part 3)