With all the new functionality with view labels in SolidWorks 2014, some ancillary enhancements have also come about as a result from customer feedback during Beta Testing. One of these enhancements has been the new capability to display any view’s angle within an annotation note. Why would anyone need something like this?
Well, there are four default options for the display of the angle symbol auxiliary views.
- Show rotation symbol with rotation angle
- Show rotation angle
- Show the text “ROTATION” followed by the rotation angle and direction
- Show just the angle
If your company chooses to display just the rotation angle (as is common for GOST drawings), it is still sometimes necessary to display the rotation angle. Because the view label is a global setting within the drawing, there’s no way to accomodate this deviation from the standard settings without having some hugely complicated user interface to track individual labels here and there. So, instead, one additional annotation tag has been added. The advantage is that this new tag is available for any drawing view (not just auxiliary and section views). The new tag is <VIEWANGLE>. Type this into any annotation note. As long as that note is a attached to a view, that view’s angle will be shown. As an example, this new tag can be added to the auxiliary view label after the <VLANGLE> tag (or anywhere else in the note).
The settings and the result of using the new tag:
New in SOLIDWORKS 2014
- What’s New in SolidWorks 2014: Ballooning
- New stuff in SolidWorks 2014 (not mentioned in “What’s New”): Symbols
- What’s New in SolidWorks 2014: On-The-Fly Virtual Sharps While Dimensioning
- Rob Jost gives details of the new Style Spline tool in SolidWorks 2014
- New in SolidWorks 2014: Angular Running Dimensions
- What’s new in SolidWorks 2014: BOM saved sorting
- New in SolidWorks 2014: Quick review of Angular Running Dimensions
- New in SolidWorks 2014: Dimension display controls
- New in SolidWorks 2014: View label overhaul (Part 1)
- New in SolidWorks 2014: Slots in spades
- New in SolidWorks 2014: Brief overview of Replace Model tool for Drawing Views
- New in SolidWorks 2014: View labels and Auxiliary Views (Part 2)
- New in SolidWorks 2014 (not mentioned in the What’s New): View rotation angles everywhere (Part 3)